Dog Attack Lawsuit Lawyers in Deerfield, Florida
Contact our Dog Attack Lawsuit Lawyers in Deerfield, Florida, 24/7 to schedule your free case review.
Statistics produced from the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) show that most American homes have at least one dog. The reasons why people choose to have a pet dog include:
- For company;
- For protection; and/or
- For an assistance animal.
No matter the dog’s age, breed, size, or purpose for why a dog is brought home, all dogs have one quality in common: all dogs are capable of attacking or biting a human.
Dog Bites and Maulings: Myths vs. Facts
An unfamiliar dog that is baring its teeth and frothing at the mouth is often the image we think of when we think of a dog bite or dog attack. Some people believe that they can avoid a dog attack or bite by avoiding contact with Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, German Shepherds, and other “dangerous” dog breeds. However, research concerning dog bites shows:
- All dogs can bite: While Rottweilers and Pit Bulls are responsible for a substantial number of dog bites, any dog breed can attack or bite a person, including family-friendly breeds like Golden Retrievers.
- Dogs bite people whom they know: A large number of dog attacks and bites involve dogs who are familiar with the victim. According to Canine Journal, 3 out of every 4 dog bite incidents involve the victim’s own property, and these incidents involve a dog who knows the victim.
- Dogs bite even when they do not have rabies: Dogs attack people for several reasons. The two most common reasons why dogs bite people are stress and play. When a dog feels afraid, sick, or hungry, it may react by biting or attacking someone.
- Even if the dog is not rabid, you need medical attention: Rabies is a potentially deadly disease that is transmitted through a bite from a rabid dog. Even a bite of a non-rabid dog can transmit bacteria and disease requiring medical treatment. Bites are perfect breeding grounds for dangerous bacteria.
- Dogs bite children: One of the most dangerous myths concerning dogs is that they do not attack or bite children. Every year children sustain disfiguring and fatal injuries caused by dogs.
Beyond simple cuts and bruising, dog attacks can cause:
- Internal bleeding;
- Broken bones;
- Puncture wounds;
- Disease; and/or
- Loss of limbs.
Holding a Dog Owner Liable for Your Dog Attack-related Injuries in Florida
All states have special “dog laws” that impose liability on dog owners when their pets attack or bite other people and cause injury. Some states have “strict liability laws” that require dog owners to compensate people who suffered dog attack injuries regardless if the owner knew or did not know their dog had a propensity to attack or bite people. Some states have a “one free bite” law that holds dog owners responsible for injuries their dog causes if the dog owner was aware or should have been aware of their dog’s violent tendencies and the dog owner failed to take reasonable steps to restrain their dog.
If a dog has bitten or attacked you or a family member, obtain emergency medical attention as quickly as possible. Then contact Fuentes Berrio Schutt to pursue monetary compensation against the dangerous dog’s owner. Call us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 954-752-1110 for a free consultation and case review with one of our best Florida Personal Injury Attorneys. Protect your rights today.Nosotros hablamos español.
Request Your free consultation
Fuentes Berrio Schutt
709 E Hillsboro Blvd
Deerfield Beach, FL 33441
Florida Personal Injury Attorneys in Deerfield, FL
Hours: Open 24/7
8W94+F8 Deerfield Beach, Florida